Who was the most famous British soldier?
Nelson voted greatest British military hero of all time
- Admiral Lord (Horatio) Nelson – 27% (44% among age group 18-24)
- Field-Marshal the Viscount Montgomery – 19%
- The Duke of Wellington – 11%
- Richard the Lionheart – 8%
- Sir Arthur ‘Bomber’ Harris – 3%
- King Henry V – 2%
- Lord Kitchener – 2%
- Colonel ‘H’ Jones – 2%
Who was the most highly decorated soldier ever?
He was one of the most decorated American combat soldiers of World War II. He received every military combat award for valor available from the U.S. Army, as well as French and Belgian awards for heroism….
|Birth name||Audie Leon Murphy|
|Born||20 June 1925 Kingston, Texas, U.S.|
Who was the most decorated British soldier in ww2?
During the course of the Second World War he became one of the British Army’s most highly decorated soldiers….Paddy Mayne.
|Robert Blair Mayne|
|Years of service||1939 -1945|
|Commands held||1st Special Air Service Regiment|
|Battles/wars||Second World War North African campaign Battle of the Litani River|
Who was the most decorated British soldier in World War 1?
Henry Tandey became the most decorated private soldier in World War One. His bravery though, would be eclipsed in the run up to World War Two by allegations he had spared Adolf Hitler’s life, in 1918.
Who was the greatest British general?
Thomas Fairfax: A man of honour. General Sir Thomas Fairfax was arguably the most important general of the British Civil Wars. As Commander-in-Chief of the New Model Army, he played a key role in defeating the Royalists.
Why did Jack Churchill use a sword?
In fact, Churchill leaped into action playing the “March of the Cameron Men” on the pipes and then hurled the first grenade before charging onwards. He was wearing a basket-hilted sword of the claybeg type. Churchill was awarded the Military Cross for his bravery in battle during this raid and the Battle of l’Epinette.
What are the top 5 military medals UK?
The awards below are listed in the official ‘order of precedence’, The letters in brackets are put after a person’s surname to show their award.
- Victoria Cross ( VC )
- George Cross (GC)
- Conspicuous Gallantry Cross ( CGC )
- Distinguished Service Cross ( DSC )
- Military Cross ( MC )
- Distinguished Flying Cross ( DFC )
Who were the toughest soldiers in history?
Top 10 Greatest Warrior Groups in History
- 10 Fearsome Warrior Groups in History.
- The Immortals (550 BC–330 BC)
- Samurai (12th Century AD–1867 AD)
- Knights (3rd Century AD–15th Century AD)
- Kamikaze Pilots (October 1944–15 August 1945)
- Gurkhas (1815 AD–Present)
- Ninjas (12th Century AD–1868 AD)