When using effective listening What is the best thing?
Terms in this set (30)
- When using effective listening, sometimes the best thing to do after describing the conflict-producing events is simply to wait for a response.
- Power exists in all relationships and derives from the ability to meet a person’s needs.
What common characteristic do most individualistic cultures share?
In individualistic cultures, people are considered “good” if they are strong, self-reliant, assertive, and independent. This contrasts with collectivist cultures where characteristics like being self-sacrificing, dependable, generous, and helpful to others are of greater importance.
What is the process of communicating a group’s culture from one generation to another called?
enculturation: the process of transmitting a group’s culture from one generation to the next one.
What are the 4 survival coping stances in Satir’s model and what’s the ideal stance?
The basic four incongruent stress coping stances are placating, blaming, irrelevance, and super- rational. For a thorough presentation of the stances, see The New PeopleMaking by Virginia Satir. We’re going for controlled folly, and do it all upside down and inside out.
What is Satir Model?
Satir Transformational Systemic Therapy (STST), also known as the Satir method, was designed to improve relationships and communication within the family structure by addressing a person’s actions, emotions, and perceptions as they relate to that person’s dynamic within the family unit.
What is intercultural modes of communication?
Intercultural communication refers to the communication between people from two different cultures. Intercultural communication is a symbolic, interpretive, transactional, contextual process in which people from different cultures create shared meanings.
How is communication related to culture?
First, cultures are created through communication; that is, communication is the means of human interaction through which cultural characteristics— whether customs, roles, rules, rituals, laws, or other patterns—are created and shared. In a sense, cultures are the “residue” of social communication.
How does communication adapt to cultural differences?
Here are our top ten tips for effective cross-cultural communication:
- Maintain etiquette. Many cultures have specific etiquette around the way they communicate.
- Avoid slang.
- Speak slowly.
- Keep it simple.
- Practice active listening.
- Take turns to talk.
- Write things down.
- Avoid closed questions.
Which element of intercultural competence is defined as an internal state of readiness to respond to something?
Intercultural communication competence. ability to adapt one’s behavior toward another in ways that are appropriate to the other person’s culture. motivation. internal state of readiness to respond to something.
What is Virginia Satir known for?
Virginia Satir (26 June 1916 – 10 September 1988) was an influential American author and psychotherapist, recognized for her approach to family therapy. Her pioneering work in the field of family reconstruction therapy honored her with the title.
What are the positive effects of intercultural communication?
Effective intercultural communication produces benefits such as employee productivity and teamwork.
- Productivity and Proficiency. Intercultural communication helps employees from different ethnic backgrounds to communicate effectively with one another.
- Global Business Edge.
- Effective Leadership.
How can you promote cultural awareness in the workplace?
Seven practices you can implement to increase cultural awareness in the workplace
- Get training for global citizenship.
- Bridge the culture gap with good communication skills.
- Practice good manners.
- Celebrate traditional holidays, festivals, and food.
- Observe and listen to foreign customers and colleagues.
What are some examples of intercultural communication?
Examples on Intercultural communication
- A Christian converses with a Muslim.
- A woman receives an order from a man.
- An American and African share their views.
- A Chinese politician’s discussion with an American leader.
What are three reasons for intercultural communication?
3 reasons why your business needs intercultural communication skills
- Effective and fast action.
- Avoiding misunderstandings.
- Building a trustworthy brand.
What distinguishes interpersonal communication from other forms of human communication?
What three elements distinguish interpersonal communication from other forms of human communication? It is a distinctive, transactional form of human communication involving mutual influence, for the purpose of managing relationships. Context is the physical and psychological environment for communication.