What foods are eaten at the Mid-Autumn Festival?
The most popular Mid-Autumn Festival foods include mooncakes, pumpkin, river snails, taro, wine fermented with osmanthus flowers, duck and hairy crabs.
What do you eat on mooncake day?
10 Foods You Must Eat for Mid Autumn Festival
- Mooncakes 月饼
- Hairy Crab 大闸蟹 Hairy Crab is a Shanghai specialty that is often eaten for Mid Autumn Festival because these crabs are “in season” in September and October.
- Taro 芋头
- River Snails 螺蛳
- Pumpkin 南瓜
- Duck 鸭
- Watermelon 西瓜
- Lotus Roots 莲藕
What do you give for Mid-Autumn Festival?
The 5 Most Popular Mid-Autumn Festival Gifts
- Mooncake — The Classic Must-Give Gift. Mooncakes.
- Fresh Hairy Crab — The Most Delicious Gift. Fresh hairy crab.
- Tea — Nice Drink with Mooncakes. Tea.
- Fruit Basket — Healthy. Average price: 50 yuan (8 USD) per kg.
- Organic Rice and Oil — New Favorite. Average prices:
What is Chinese festival food?
Spring Festival, Dragon Boat Festival and Mid Autumn Festival are the three important festivals in China. People eat different food on these festivals. They are Tangyuan (also called rice glue ball or sweet dumpling), Zongzi (rice dumpling) and Moon Cake.
Why do Chinese people eat duck during Mid-Autumn Festival?
Giving a duck as a gift and eating duck is a traditional custom at the Mid-Autumn Festival. This custom came from a secret signal of an uprising in the Yuan dynasty (1271-1368). In the middle of the 14th century, the Han people couldn’t bear the brutal ruling of the Mongolians and decided to fight against them.
What do Dragon Boat Festival people eat?
Top 8 Dragon Boat Festival Food
- Zongzi. It is a traditional custom for Chinese to eat zongzi, a kind of sticky rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo leaves.
- Dagao — Glutinous Rice Cake.
- Fried Cake (Jiandui)
- Thin Pancakes.
- Eggs Steamed with Tea.
- Egg with Garlic.
Why is pomelo used for mooncake festival?
This is because pomelo (柚, yòu) sounds like “bless” (佑, yòu) in Mandarin and are offered to the moon in the hopes that the Moon Goddess will bless families with good luck and happiness. Also, a slice or two of pomelo will also help cleanse your taste buds after indulging in one too many sweet mooncakes!
When can you start gifting mooncakes?
Just remember to gift the mooncakes before Sep 24 – the actual date of the Mid-Autumn Festival – and enjoy them with some Chinese tea for the full experience.
What do Chinese people eat for special occasions?
Popular Foods for Special Occasions
- Dumplings. Dumplings.
- Glutinous Rice Cakes – niangao.
- Eight Treasures Rice.
- Lion’s Head Meatball.
- Longan and Lychee.
- Mandarins, Pomelos, Oranges and Tangerines.